Vice President of Sales: Content Marketing & Events at The Economist
June 2011 - November 2012 | New York
• Lead a team responsible for creating and selling unique content marketing programs and event sponsorships in the USA, Canada and Latin America.
• Develop the overall business strategy for the content and events businesses, including sales, marketing, operations, new product development and editorial.
• Doubled sales revenue in less than 3 years to over $12MM, taking the business from loss-making to producing an annual profit of over $3MM.
• Run the P&L and report on the performance of the business by providing revenue forecasts, costs analysis, budgets, and other sales KPIs.
• Produce content in a number of different short and long-form formats including: articles; Posts; Feeds; Rich Media Units; Tweets; White Papers; Advertorials; short-form video; data visualizations; motion graphics and infographics. It is distributed through a variety of digital platforms including EIU.com, client owned sites, as well as custom microsites my team built. Additionally, the content is optimized for use in social media communities built on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
• Collaborate with other internal sales teams to create cross-platform solutions for key clients to win new and up sell on existing accounts.
• Execute 8-10 C-level events each year on high-level topics that connected back to the issues covered by the magazine.
Commercial Director: Content Marketing & Events at The Economist
April 2010 - May 2011 | New York
• Exceeded goal by 21% delivering $2.4MM of revenue and $5.95MM in sponsorship revenue for the content marketing business - a 50% year on year increase.
• Was responsible for building a pipeline of sponsorship revenues mainly by developing new client relationships and breaking new business.
• Broke numerous sponsorship deals from non-endemic categories and clients such as construction, environmental, Qatar Foundation, Chevy Volt, Manpower.
• Built and managed a process to deal with RFPs. Developed sales pipeline and built RFPs to produce 500 outgoing sales proposals each year.
Digital Sales Manager at The Economist
April 2008 - March 2010 | San Francisco
• Generated over $10MM per year in revenue by managing the West Coast digital sales team and personally running high-visibility accounts Intel, Oracle, Juniper, HP, Cisco. Created and sold a number of unique digital advertising programs, i.e. the first online Economist “debate” to Intel.
Account Manager at The Economist
July 2006 - March 2008 | New York
• Managed the technology, airline and hotel categories by selling directly to clients and agencies.
• Exceeded $6MM per year goal by closing new business from high-profile accounts such as SAS, CA Technologies, Delta, Unisys among others.
Account Manager - London at The Economist
February 2005 - June 2006 | London
• Managed client relationships in the technology sector across key advertising agencies and client-direct.
• Sold multi-platform programs with digital, print, sponsored research, and events components.
Northern UK & Eire Sales Manager at The Economist Group
June 1998 - January 2005 | Manchester
I was responsible for the generation of advertising revenue from advertising agencies and direct clients based in Northern England, Scotland, Ireland, and the Channel Islands. Based from home, this position required strong self-discipline and high levels of motivation along with a tenacious sales attitude. I more than tripled annual revenue from a base of £250,000 to over £1MM within the first 3 years.
Regional Media Sales Manager UPN Media Sales, Key Accounts & Marketing Manager - Sheffield Newspaper at United Provincial Newspapers
May 1994 - May 1998
I ran the marketing services department which supported the entire sales team of 120 people. Duties included: production of sales support information; marketing planning for the advertising department; production of market intelligence and new product development.
Various at Liverpool Echo
October 1987 - May 1994
I held a number of positions during my 7 years with the group including: National Sales Manager, Classified Sales Manager, Field Sales Manager.
sales at daily post
1987 - May 1994
Global Publisher, WSJ Custom Studios at The Wall Street Journal
March 2012 - Present | New York